Great ScrumMasters, like their teams, never stop getting better. How do they do it? Here are 5 things great ScrumMasters do:
- Listen - Great ScrumMasters listen and watch what is going on. Through observation, they are better informed to help their team. They "go to the gemba" to learn what their team needs.
- Focus - Great ScrumMasters use focus to create containers for action. The hierarchy of containers starts with vision, followed by strategy, and finally execution. Each level of container further constrains action. Containers serve to focus action on what matters most. It is within these containers that creativity thrives.
- Practice Pragmatism - Great ScrumMasters understand the intersection between vision and acceptance. Through patience and persistence, they grow the intersection.
- Look Beyond the Team - Great ScrumMasters strive to optimize globally rather than locally. The team is only part of the value stream. Improving the team doesn't matter if the customer doesn't see a difference.
- Grow - Great ScrumMasters never stop growing and learning. They read, network and continuously build their skills.